Saturday, October 11, 2008

Reflecting on Research Project Experience


After going through this 5-weeks-long research project, my overall experience is positive, even though most of the time, I have to rush to finish my share amount of work.

I personally feel that the time frame given to the project was a bit short. It requires more time to prepare a fairly good report. However, I learnt the fundamental basis of preparing a research report. I also appreciated the whole preparation process from the initial stage of setting up research question to the final stage of writing conclusion and recommendation. It provided a comprehensive overview of what is expected from a research report.

I am lucky to have group mates who are highly initiative and task-oriented. We always managed to finish the tasks on time. I have also learnt many things, by working together with them, in the aspects of cultures and languages.

During the whole research period, the communication among the group mates was mainly through MSN online chat room, email and face-to-face meeting. Despite the limitation of meeting online, we managed to discuss the agenda of the meeting. Thus, I consider the communication was quite successful. However, there were times when messages got lost during the meeting which were mainly due to overload of information in the meeting.

Finally, I would like to conclude that the whole process of doing research project was a positive learning experience to me. I also found that it is very important to have group mates working together as a whole to produce a quality report and of course this have be achieved with the help of good and clear communication within the group.

5 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank you very much, Sammy, for all your effort with the research, the report writing and with making this honest reflection. I really appreciate all your hard work and your camaraderie with your group mates. Cheers!

Pei Rong said...

Hello Sammy,

I bet you have a great time working with Xiu Wen and Eileen! They constantly made you laugh right? I can hear it.. hahaha

I totally agree that the time given to us for the project was very short. In addition, it clashes with the mid term tests and we have to do our blogs too.. It was definitely a very busy week for all of us! However, if we think from another point of view, I guess this experience trains us to be more efficient in doing our work in the future. The real world is tough!

From what I heard from Xiu wen and Eileen, you are actually very fast and efficient. You are the pushing force in the group! I think people like you are the best team mate one can have. One group requires at least 1 person who is the driving force so as to prevent the project from being stagnant.

Finally, good luck for your final report!

Xiuwen said...

Hi Sammy,

I absolutely agree with you with regards to the short time frame given. We were practically rushing our report, yet, what PeiRong say was also right! The limited time frame was in fact training us for the future as I believe that deadlines are constantly being set in the real world in order to keep the progress going. Hence, we should be happy that we are given such a challenging task and yet, we are able to complete it! Cheers for all of us! =)

Besides that, I am thankful to have you in my team as you are the one who keeps us on track by reminding us of our deadlines. Without you in our team, we probably would be less efficient in completing the task on time.

All in all, thanks for all the hardwork and I really enjoyed doing the report with Eileen and you! =)

Eileen said...

Hi Sammy,

It has been great working with you! I really appreciate what you have done for the group. Thanks for being the driving force so our project can be done before submission date. Though it was just a few weeks long, the three of us definitely hit off well because we had lots of fun rite?
Hope we can enjoy the rest of time working together to give the best shot for the oral presentation!

3 cheers for us!=)

Sammy said...

Haha,, thanks for the "being driving force" part, I didn't realize that I was in that position. It was great to work with you guy too. Thanks for all the hard work too.

Ya, I agreed with Peirong also. It definitely train us to be more efficient in time and tasks management.