Saturday, September 27, 2008

Intercultural behaviors of students

I often experience different intercultural behaviors in a foreign country. They could be related to the individuals’ cultural values, beliefs, and languages etc.

I remembered the time when I just came to Singapore. Things were so different to me; building infrastructures, food, languages and almost everything else. Living in a cosmopolitan city like this was a very huge transformation to me. It took me more than a year to adapt to the student’s life in school and two years to appreciate the local foods, and now I am still in the process of learning and exploring new things.

Among all the differences, the local teaching style was the most influence to me. Generally, Singapore’s education system motivates students to lead others, express themselves, adapt to different environments and, of course, it also motivates many other aspects. On the other hand, Myanmar’s education system is very conservative. Students are taught to follow. They do not get chances to present their own ideas. Furthermore, students are not encouraged to be creative but to follow the tradition in Myanmar.

I could still recall the first semester of my study in Singapore, I was given some school assignment projects for the first time in my life. I was very nervous and totally lost. I had no idea how a project should be done. It was also a first-time-experience of doing presentation in the class. In my mind, I was thinking that these were just some basic requirements of the higher education. However, I saw that the local classmates were very skillful in handling the projects and presentations, and they were also very capable in expressing their thoughts and ideas. Then, I started to realize my disadvantages in those aspects of work and I also got to know that “it is the culture of Singapore, the way students are educated.”

Those were major cultural transformations for me; moving from conservativeness to a more proactive attitude. The expectation on the students, to be more creative and self-reliance, is very challenging. I really had a hard time adapting to it in the beginning, and yet still in the learning process.

To summarize it, we are always trying to integrate into the environment we live in. In the end, we find ourselves being a part of it and losing or forgetting some parts of our own native cultures.

7 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

This is an excellent first-hand observation, Sammy. I really appreciate the way you've focused on your initial reaction to your educational experience here in Singapore. You are so fortunate to have been able to have BOTH of these experiences (in Myanmar and in Singapore). Can you make any judgment about how each approach resonates with students' and their learning?

Pei Rong said...

Hi Sammy,
How are you adjusting to our education system now? It must have been a great experience for you!

Yes, Singaporean children are educated on how to be a leader, how to speak well in the public etc. I even had compulsory courses like "effective public speaking" during my secondary school days! Besides that, we are constantly exposed to all kinds of camps to develop our leadership qualities. Projects are only becoming more and more common and important in the last 10 years. When my sister was in junior college, she does not have this compulsory subject called "project work". Now, all JC students are to undergo that!

Besides the different education systems, what are some of the cultures of Mynanmar that are very different from Singapore?

Anyway, I hope you are not scared off by our very hectic education system in Singapore! If you are unsure of anything, feel free to approach any of us! we will be very willing to help!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sammy,

Your point about losing some parts of our own native cultures in order to integrate into a new environment is quite true. A person has to constantly change to adapt to a new environment, and in the process, cultures and norms which used to be so close to him would seem irrelevant. However, losing these parts of us is inevitable if we want to fully immerse ourselves in the new environment. We don't necessary have to "forget" them like you've said, but it's just that they are inapplicable and simply just different in the new society? I guess it's a matter of give and take? =)

Personally, I never really have the chance to live somewhere outside my own comfort zone. The thought of it is scary. I guess I would be totally lost! So kudos to your efforts in trying to integrate into the Singapore Society! That must be tough!

Sammy said...

Hi BB,
I think Singapore is emphasizing on the development of human resources because of its lack of natural resources. But for Myanmar, I don't see any good reasons why they are being so conservative. Of course, the only thing that I can think of will be something related to political point of view, which I will leave it out here. :>

Sammy said...

Hi Pei Rong,
Thanks for your explanation.
I am still adjusting to this system, I think I am slowly getting used to it already.
Just to add on the point of "teaching to be proactive", I really like the education system here. It give me have chances to learn from others and to get to know yourself from other people point of views.
The Myanmar cultures in general are very conservative also. About 80%-90% of Myanmar are Buddhists, so the whole cultural behaviors are mainly based on the religious. So, most of the times we are following the "Buddhist Scripture" in our daily life. In other words, Myanmar are still practicing the very old traditions. Which sometime can be good and sometime can be bad also.
Of course, in singapore, the society is not very much bounded by religious. I think which allows more flexibility in development. :>

Sammy said...

HI Xin Yi,
Initially, it was really tough. Eventually, I appreciated the changes that I had made.
Ya, I agreed with you, some cultures are not fit to the new environment. And yes, I do not forget it also. Surprisingly, every time when I went back to Myanmar I practiced it again. :>

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks for all the responses, Sammy. Very informative!