Thursday, August 21, 2008

Effective communication skills

Those who know the ways to communicate effectively dominate the world today. We were brought up by our parents, and then sent to school and finally joined the workplace. Living in a society, we always have to rely on one or another, thus effective communication skill becomes an essential tool to the success. I believe that by having the skills of how to built-up and maintain a good relationship with the society will put us in an advantageous position and take us to a higher level eventually.

We will enjoy the benefit of getting the right messages through or sending the right signals at the right time if we communicate effectively. For instance, buying food from an acquaintance will be different from dealing with stranger. The advantage is obvious that the probability of getting a good deal with an acquaintance will be higher. Hence, the question is how do we make sure to have a good deal with the stranger as well, the answer is to close the deal with the satisfaction of achieving the best interest of both parties and this can only be achieved with effective communication skills.

In this multination country, most of the time, we will have to work with people from different countries. This makes things more challenging; dealing with people having different values, cultures and interests of their own. Again, effective communication is the key to create a win-win situation for all the parties involved in the project. This will then create more business opportunities for ourselves in the future.

To summarize, if we know the right ways, channels or skills to communicate with others, we will definitely be given a lot of opportunities to promote ourselves in the future.

edited on 9th Nov

4 comments:

Brad Blackstone said...

Thank you, Sammy, for being one of the first posters! Overall, you do a good job. It's clear from this that you recognize the value of effective communication. You astutely focus on the communication challenges of working in a multinational setting, too.

Still, I'd like to see you bring your illustrations to a more personal level, giving an example or two of how effective communication will be important for you. You you you! Hypothesize. Imagine. In short, stick yourself within the general contexts that you describe.

Also, did you have a buddy read this before posting. The reason I ask is because I noted more than a few language errors. I realize that you're operating under time pressure in a second (third?) language, but I'd still like to see more buddy editing in your work. I wanna push you, Sammy, to iron out a few more linguistic wrinkles via this process. (I'm sure you know my style already, so I'm not being as "polite" as I might be at first to others. You know my heart is in the right place.)

Thanks again for this effort!

Pei Rong said...

I understand what you meant by how people of different values and cultures have difficulty communicating.this is especially so
in a multiracial, multireligion country like Singapore. i admit that sometimes when i could not understand what someone[usually foreigners] has to say, my mind will automatically "turn off". i know this is being very impolite but it is not as if i did not make the effort to try to decipher or make out their words. I TRIED!! REALLY! sorry if i offended anyone, but i will definitely try my best to interact with people of different values, beliefs, religions and race and most importantly understand them. this is where i believe not only me but also many other singaporeans would have to improve on.

Sammy said...

Thanks for the comment Blackstone, I really appreciated that. I want to improve myself with the help of this module and I will try to work on it. :>

I went to Malaysia last week, so I wasn't have enough time to send out the post to the blogging buddy and edit my blogging buddy's post. Sorry about that.

Oxy said...

Hello Sammy, my attention was drawn to the comment that you made regarding the inability of someone to present his/her ideas clearly, despite his/her expertise in that field.

I had a lecturer who cannot really capture the attention of a class, despite the interesting nature of the topic. As a result, most of the people in the class did not think very well of him. However, having tried consulting him on a one-to-one basis, I found him really enlightening and passionate about his subject. I think it is a pity for both him and others that his knowledge cannot be fully appreciated,shared and received due to ineffective communication.